Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
Looking for a recipe that is high in protein, packed with flavour, and easy to make? Our Greek inspired chicken souvlaki recipe is fresh, filling, and will transport you to Greece – especially if eaten al fresco in the sun!
Souvlaki simply means “meat on skewers”, but in Greece it also describes the complete meal: marinated meat skewers, warm pita, fresh salad, and tzatziki sauce… Yummy!
We’ve created a healthy, high protein take on the street food staple by combining marinated grilled chicken with warm flatbreads, fresh salad, and a creamy homemade yoghurt tzatziki.
The Greek inspired marinade is the key to this recipe. We’ve combined lemon, garlic, oregano, cumin, coriander and paprika to infuse flavour into our chicken souvlaki, leaving it juicy, tender, and full of zest! Marinade the chicken for at least 30 minutes, but if you have more time, you can leave it for longer to soak in more of the flavour.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- 2 x chicken breast, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ lemon, zested and juiced
- ¼ cucumber
- 100g 5% fat Greek yogurt
- Handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- juice ¼ lemon
- 2 Greek flatbreads or pita breads
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges
- ½ tomato, sliced
- ¼ red onion, sliced
- 20g lettuce, shredded
- Mix all the dry ingredients for the chicken seasoning and then add oil, garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Coat the chicken thoroughly and leave to marinade in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the tzatziki. Slice cucumber lengthways and scoop out the seeds before chopping finely.
- Mix together tthe yogurt, garlic, min, lemon juice and chopped cucumber. Place in serving dish and pop into the fridge to chill, ready to serve later.
- Heat the grill to its highest setting and line a roasting tin with foil.
- Remove the diced chicken from the fridge and evenly add to skewers. Position the skewers in the roasting tin and put under the hot grill for 15-20 mins.
- Brushing the skewers with oil and any juices from the bottom of the tin regularly and turn the skewers halfway through cooking.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and rest for 5 mins before serving with warm Greek flatbreads topped with lettuce, tomato, red onion, lemon wedges and tzatziki.
- We use metal skewers, but if you’re using bamboo skewers, be sure to soak them in water prior to use to stop them drying out or burning during grilling.
- If you want to enjoy our chicken souvlaki with a dairy-free version of our tzatziki dip, switch out the 5% yoghurt for a plant-based yoghurt such as soy or oat yoghurt.